Welcome to George Rose Guide Service

This blog is simply short events, pictures, and funny things that happen in the day-to-day life of a fishing guide in the ROCKPORT, PORT ARANSAS, AND CORPUS CHRISTI AREA. There's nothing on here that isn't fishing or duck hunting. If you have a question you want me to answer, please email me from my website at http://www.texascoastfishing.com/. I'll answer all I can. Anything is fair game from what kind of boats are best, where fish are biting, you fished with me and hate my guts ( I probably hate your guts too and maybe we can work it out). Anyway, I'll keep up as best I can. Please remember I work a lot and have to answer customer emails, phone messages, and keep boats running. Thanks and I hope you enjoy what you find here.

Please note, you can click on any picture and enlarge it if it's too small. Also, scroll down to see the older blogs. I'm getting emails asking where the stories and pictures are. They are further down. I'm not great at this blogging so keep letting me know if you're not seeing what you want. I'll get one of my kids to fix it, lol. Thanks, and I hope you're enjoying the info on here.






Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kayakers

Please remember that I'm not a writer.  I'm a fishing guide.  I do the best I can with these stories.  These are both true and happened to me personally.  I do not dislike  kayakers, I'm just telling you one of many kayak stories that have happened to me.

Kayaks.  Speed Bumps for Boaters
(They really are hard to see sometimes.  I wish they would put a bicycle flag on the kayaks so no one gets hurt)




What is a kayak?  The dictionary defines a kayak as:  An Inuit or Eskimo boat consisting of a light wooden frame covered with watertight skins except for a single or double opening in the center, and propelled by a double-bladed paddle.
2. A lightweight canoe that is similar in design

I do not dislike kayakers.  They are a great way to get exercise and provide minimal transportation for fishing.  We just need to find a balance between kayakers and boaters that everyone can live with. 

In Texas, a kayak is not considered a boat because it doesn’t have a motor and it doesn’t need any registration numbers.  It’s more closely related to the canoe I think. A canoe however requires some skill to maneuver where  a kayak can be paddled by anyone with two arms.  Actually a canoe is much more efficient cutting through the water in my opinion.   What did all these new breed kayakers do before the Eskimos were kind enough to show their boats to us?  Hummm.  Got me thinking.  I guess they fished off the bank or used the piers.  Very few of them have their own boats so I know they didn’t give up fishing from a real boat and switch to kayaks.  That would be like going from an automobile back to a horse and buggy. 

So one morning it’s early, around and I’ve got my customers anchored on a little cut catching trout pretty fast.  We’re sitting in the Aransas Pass Shrimp channel all by ourselves watching the sun come up and really enjoying the morning when I hear something behind us.  The something says “You guys doing any good”?  I look back and it’s two speed bumps paddling right up next to the boat.  I replied, “Yes we’re doing fine.  Can I help you”?  I’m a little shocked to see these two young guys sitting two feet from my engine.  Speed bumps, “No thanks, we’re just going around you guys to get back in that cut back there.”  To which I explain that if they go around me they will scare off the fish we’re catching as the cut is only about eight feet wide.  I asked, “Please go down the bank a bit and there’s another cut down there.  It will probably have some fish in it too.”  Speed bumps, “No we want to fish this cut.  This is where we fished last month and caught some fish.  We won’t bother you, just give us a second to slide by.”  Well, there’s no way they can get in that cut without moving my fish and my nice customers are paying about $550.00 to catch these fish, and I was here first.  I did the only thing I knew to do.  I said, “If you cut in front of me, I’m going to climb out of this boat and one of us is getting a beating.  Now hurry up and make your decision so I can get on with catching fish or whipping your ass.”  Total silence.   Speed bumps, “You don’t have to be rude.”  I said, “Obviously I do since you don’t understand fishing etiquette or have any manners whatsoever.  Now what’s it going to be boys?”  The speed bumps mumbled something under their breath and moved on down the bank.  My customers were as disgusted as I was and it left a really bad taste in their mouths for the rest of the day.  We did pull twenty nice trout out of there before though. 

Ok, I know what you’re thinking.  That was one incident and there’s always a few bad apples in the bunch.  You can’t judge the entire kayaking armada by two morons in their twenties.  Fishing has become so confrontational that fights on the water are happening more and more. (I’ll post a really funny story about a fight among two guides later)  It’s really sad when you take a day to go fishing and it turns out into nothing but fighting and dodging other fisherman.  I love fishing.  I mean I really, really, love fishing.  It’s all I do.  I fish 225 days a year to make a living.  I go on vacations to Mexico, Florida, and Costa Rica in order to get in some fishing while I’m on vacation.  I watch fishing shows when I’m at home.  Fishing is my life.  I have never, ever, intentionally run over another fisherman.  I always try to be courteous and I expect other fisherman to do the same.  Everyone should be treated with courtesy and respect while they’re on the water.    Well it starts with this, if someone’s where you want to be then you got there too late.  Early bird gets the worm.  GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I’m fishing in South Bay along a little reef that runs from East to West catching redfish.  We’ve been fishing this spot for about three days and it’s been good every day.  Unfortunately, today is Saturday and it’s more crowded than any other day.  I pull up to my spot and get set up. I’ve got two friends lined up next to me about fifty yards down and we’re all waiting for the reds to show up.  The reds have been moving off this flat every day about the same time, you just have to be patient.  Today I’ve got a man, his son, and daughter.  They’re really nice people and I’m looking forward to the kids catching their first redfish.  Suddenly, off to my right I see movement low to the water.  It’s two speed bumps paddling up to my stern about fifteen yards away.  I’m trying to figure out what they’re doing and where they’re going.  The only thing in front of them is a mile of water about twelve inches deep.  Sure enough they swing around us and cut right in front of my boat.  They get out of their kayaks and start walking over our lines.  Yes, over the top of our lines.  One yells out, “Hey you’re using mullet and he’s still good.”  I reply, “Thanks, that's good to know.”  Honestly, what are you going to do with people like this?  Ron White said it best, “You can’t fix stupid”.  There was nothing for us to do but reel in and leave.  Well there was one thing I could do,   I yelled, “Hey, those reds you’re looking for are down there by that blue Haynie.  See the water moving around down there?”  The water wasn’t moving from fish, it was boiling from the steam coming off my friends head from watching dumb and dumber.  Speed bump replies “I sure do, thanks. We’ll go get ‘em.”  I yelled “Good luck, catch ‘em up”.  I got my folks out of there before the fireworks.  I didn’t want the kids to witness what was about to happen.  My friend actually didn’t do anything.  His customers got out of the boat and it was a mess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment