Welcome to George Rose Guide Service

This blog is simply short events, pictures, and funny things that happen in the day-to-day life of a fishing guide in the ROCKPORT, PORT ARANSAS, AND CORPUS CHRISTI AREA. There's nothing on here that isn't fishing or duck hunting. If you have a question you want me to answer, please email me from my website at http://www.texascoastfishing.com/. I'll answer all I can. Anything is fair game from what kind of boats are best, where fish are biting, you fished with me and hate my guts ( I probably hate your guts too and maybe we can work it out). Anyway, I'll keep up as best I can. Please remember I work a lot and have to answer customer emails, phone messages, and keep boats running. Thanks and I hope you enjoy what you find here.

Please note, you can click on any picture and enlarge it if it's too small. Also, scroll down to see the older blogs. I'm getting emails asking where the stories and pictures are. They are further down. I'm not great at this blogging so keep letting me know if you're not seeing what you want. I'll get one of my kids to fix it, lol. Thanks, and I hope you're enjoying the info on here.






Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fishing Reports

I get asked ALL the time,"Where are the fish biting"?.  I write fishing reports for newspapers and magazines to tell everyone who reads them exactly where to go and what to use to catch fish.  WRONG!  Let's get down to the rat killing.  No guide ever tells people where he's catching fish.  He can't afford to.  If we told the entire state (or even two other guides for that matter)  the location we're catching our fish, we wouldn't be able to get there the next day.  If you read fishing reports you'll always see things like Estes Flats, Mud Island, Corpus Christi Bay, Aransas Bay, Allyns Bight, and my favorite California Hole.  California Hole is always listed as a hot spot.  We do it just to keep people out of the way. 

We've got paying customers who we need to get on fish.  All of those areas do have fish, you just have to be there at the right time and in the right place.  Even California Hole has fish if you fish it correctly and at the right time.  We can't afford to tell you that we're fishing the west side, next to the two small shell humps and catching 30 trout in an hour every day.  Anyway, what I'm getting at is don't put too much stock in fishing reports.  A lot of them are just repeats from previous years. Look for the basics in fishing reports like, "Trout are biting good, redfish are good, etc..". 

Remember, good guides catch fish no matter what the conditions or they'll tell you to reschedule your trip if it's really bad.   Go out and find your own fish.  It makes it so much more rewarding.  Hire a guide and learn what he's doing and why.  Good guides love telling you why and what they're doing.  They just don't like to tell you where.  You'll find your own places that work for you and apply the techniques you've learned and catch fish.  That's the best part about guiding.  I have to find the fish every day.  It's that challenge that makes it fun.  OK, that's a good start for now.  Go fishing and have a good time.  Life's too short to work all the time.  Thanks.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment